Dr Fiona Simpson
|Dr Fiona Simpson|
Australian born but growing up in Scotland, Dr Fiona Simpson intended to become a country vet, but was advised to get a biochemistry degree first. “After going to the local chemist to find out what biochemistry was, I enrolled and found I loved science. When I got my vet school offer, I turned it down and went to Cambridge to do my PhD instead,” she says.
There, she specialised in cellular trafficking and discovered a new protein complex integral to pigmentation: AP-3. “We were the first to describe how eye colour and coat colour in mice were melanosome trafficking mutations,” explains Simpson. “It opened up a new field.” It is now known that human mutations in AP-3 are involved in platelet deficiencies, albinism, melanoma biology, and synaptic vesicle formation in neurons.
Telephone: +61 7 3443 6930
- Pera, Elena, Kaemmerer, Elke, Milevskiy, Michael J. G., Yapa, Kunsala T. D. S., O'Donnell, Jake S., Brown, Melissa A., Simpson, Fiona, Peters, Amelia A., Roberts-Thomson, Sarah J. and Monteith, Gregory R. (2016) The voltage gated Ca2+-channel Cav3.2 and therapeutic responses in breast cancer. Cancer Cell International, 16 24: . doi:10.1186/s12935-016-0299-0
- Hazar-Rethinam, Mehlika, de Long, Lilia Merida, Gannon, Orla M., Boros, Samuel, Vargas, Ana Cristina, Dzienis, Marcin, Mukhopadhyay, Pamela, Saenz-Ponce, Natalia, Dantzic, Daniel D. E., Simpson, Fiona and Saunders, Nicholas A. (2015) RacGAP1 is a novel downstream effector of E2F7-dependent resistance to doxorubicin and is prognostic for overall survival in squamous cell carcinoma. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 14 8: 1939-1950. doi:10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-15-0076
- Daniel, James A., Chau, Ngoc, Abdel-Hamid, Mohammed K., Hu, Lingbo, von Kleist, Lisa, Whiting, Ainslie, Krishnan, Sai, Maamary, Peter, Joseph, Shannon R., Simpson, Fiona, Haucke, Volker, McCluskey, Adam and Robinson, Philip J. (2015) Phenothiazine-derived antipsychotic drugs inhibit dynamin and vlathrin-mediated endocytosis. Traffic, 16 6: 635-654. doi:10.1111/tra.12272
- Jung, Ji-Won, Overgaard, Nana H., Burke, Michael T., Isbel, Nicole, Frazer, Ian H., Simpson, Fiona and Wells, James W. (2015) Does the nature of residual immune function explain the differential risk of non-melanoma skin cancer development in immunosuppressed organ transplant recipients?. International Journal of Cancer, . doi:10.1002/ijc.29450
- Hazar-Rethinam, Mehlika, Merida De Long, Lilia, Gannon, Orla M., Topkas, Eleni, Boros, Samuel, Vargas, Ana Cristina, Dzienis, Marcin, Mukhopadhyay, Pamela, Simpson, Fiona, Endo-Munoz, Liliana and Saunders, Nicholas A. (2015) A novel E2F/sphingosine kinase 1 axis regulates anthracycline response in squamous cell carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research, 21 2: 417-427. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-1962
- Freeman, Andrew, Bridge, Jennifer A., Maruthayanar, Pirashanthini, Overgaard, Nana H., Jung, Ji-Won, Simpson, Fiona, Prow, Tarl W., Soyer, H. Peter, Frazer, Ian H., Freeman, Michael and Wells, James W. (2014) Comparative Immune Phenotypic Analysis of Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Intraepidermal Carcinoma in Immune-Competent Individuals: Proportional Representation of CD8+ T-Cells but Not FoxP3+ Regulatory T-Cells Is Associated with Disease Stage. PLoS One, 9 10: e110928.1-e110928.9. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0110928
- Foote, M. C., McGrath, M., Guminski, A., Hughes, B. G. M., Meakin, J., Thomson, D., Zarate, D., Simpson, F. and Porceddu, S. V. (2014) Phase II study of single-agent panitumumab in patients with incurable cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Annals of Oncology, 25 10: 2047-2052. doi:10.1093/annonc/mdu368
- Gaffney, Daniel C., Soyer, H. Peter and Simpson, Fiona (2014) The epidermal growth factor receptor in squamous cell carcinoma: an emerging drug target. Australasian Journal of Dermatology, 55 1: 24-34. doi:10.1111/ajd.12025
- Hill, Michelle M., Daud, Noor Huda, Aung, Cho Sanda, Loo, Dorothy, Martin, Sally, Murphy, Samantha, Black, Debra M., Barry, Rachael, Simpson, Fiona, Liu, Libin, Pilch, Paul F, Hancock, John F., Marie-Odile Parat and Parton, Robert G. (2012) Co-regulation of cell polarization and migration by caveolar proteins PTRF/cavin-1 and caveolin-1. PLoS One, 7 8: e43041.1-e43041.9. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043041
- Saunders, Nicholas A., Simpson, Fiona, Thompson, Erik W., Hill, Michelle M., Endo-Munoz, Liliana, Leggatt, Graham, Minchin, Rodney F. and Guminski, Alexander (2012) Role of intratumoural heterogeneity in cancer drug resistance: Molecular and clinical perspectives. EMBO Molecular Medicine, 4 8: 675-684. doi:10.1002/emmm.201101131
- Spatio-temporal signalling of the epidermal growth factor receptor and insulin receptor.
- EGFR trafficking in squamous cell carcinoma and effects on Cetuximab treatment.